Saturday, October 3, 2009

Shoes of Time

As I finished watching the first two sessions of October 2009 LDS Conference and felt a new resolve to "be in touch" and "run the Lord's Errand" daily, I thought of my family as they have given service in their lives. I wrote the following. Although it is about serving an LDS mission, that's really what life is all about----service...


Lord, you called me on this mission
Then, I started to prepare
The earthly things I needed
To give my service there.
The “to dos” seemed overwhelming
As I planned what I would need
Clothing, books and all supplies
That would help me to succeed.
From the time that I was small
My parents helped me to
Prepare my inner spirit
To give my all to You.
My spirit had been clothed
With a testimony strong.
The spirit blessed me often
To choose the right from wrong.
The clothing purchased carefully
Would announce me to the world
That they might know in spirit
I would share a treasured pearl.
For my outer self must reflect
What my spirit had become
So my message could be heard
I was there to find someone.
My clothing started new
My shoes were tight at first
Yet, walking on the Lord’s path
Worn soles and seams did burst.
Although I had been careful
And my clothing lasted well
My shoes wore out quite often
As I walked the service trail.
May my feet be led in wisdom
Down the pathway I am led
May my footsteps wear out the shoes of time
That Father’s children may be fed.
-Shanna C. Hugie

1 comment:

Grace said...

Shana you are so creative. The fact that you could write that poem so quickly and feel it so strongly. Wow. It's beautiful. I haven't written poems in years. I should share some of the poems I have written with you. One I have entitled "Father and Child"