Thursday, August 7, 2008

Words

I had a request from someone to tell them the difference between shy/bashful and between self-confident/arrogant. I guess I got a little "carried away" and I wrote the following.

There are so many ways
To express ourselves and such
There are words that seem just right
And others seem too much.
Sometimes you just might wonder
How each one plays a part
As you try to just communicate
It really is an art.
So why not just examine
The difference that words mean
“Bashful” has a stronghold
While “shy” is not quite seen.
For someone who is “bashful”
Sometimes hides themselves away
But someone who is “shy”
Is there listening what others say.
Now “arrogance” and “confidence”...
Those two words are worlds apart
Someone “confident with self”
Will give others a good start.
But someone who is “arrogant”
Is blind to empathy
Becoming full of self
All they notice is their “me”.
-Shanna C. Hugie