I have often been grateful for "being a girl" for many reasons. One of them happens every time I am in Sacrament Meeting and I hear a young man have to start over the Sacrament Prayer because of an "error".....I don't think I could bear the "shame".......and, I always feel for him----always wish I could think of a way to offer comfort. Until I wrote the following, I was lacking in knowing what to do or say and then the inspiration happened. It seems I was "responsible" all along-----my Heavenly Father was trying to get MY attention!
I prepared to take the Sacrament.
I sang the hymnal tune.
Blocking my weekday thoughts
I felt the spirit in the room.
As the blessing on the bread
Began, my thoughts then dimmed.
I didn't mean to daydream.
My promises seemed thin.
But then, the young man stumbled
And the prayer was not approved
So, he started once again
For a moment. . . I was moved.
But again, my thoughts were melted
Then, for the second time
I thought of mortal woes
And lost touch with the divine.
When I thought the time had passed
And was about to say "Amen"
I noticed for the third time
The young man started up again.
Perhaps, instead of it being
A struggle for this young man
Could it be that it was Father
Giving ME a chance to listen---again....
- Shanna C. Hugie
Light after dark.
10 years ago



1 comment:
This poem sounds familiar. I REALLY like it...it will help me with those uncomfortable moments during the sacrament...I will now look at it completely different...THANKS!
I also love that poem you wrote about scared ment....thank you!
Post a Comment